Welcome to the Chajnantor Observatory
Note: We are only able to accommodate official visitors on observatory business.
We are happy to know that you will be visiting the Chajnantor Observatory. In order to make your visit safe and pleasant, we request that you read the following instructions before traveling to Chile.
- Please read the Chajnantor Observatory Safety Regulations.
- Keep in mind the Observatory location when planning your visit: Llano de Chajnantor (Mountain, desert, high altitude 5,000 m).
- All visitors must have a medical examination as explained in the Safety Regulations. You must send a document signed by your doctor to: firstname.lastname@example.org or fax it to +56.55.851 453.
- If you intend to drive in Chile, you must have a valid International Driving License or Chilean License.
- Provide your personal information (record) using the Personal Form. You should send this form before traveling to email@example.com) or fax it to +56.55.851 453.
- It is necessary that you inform us of your itinerary in advance. When you do so, please indicate your name, dates of stay in San Pedro de Atacama, and also if you would require us to make lodging reservations in San Pedro and/or transport reservation from and to the Calama Airport. When asking for transfers, it is very important to indicate: date, flight number and dates of Arriving/Departure of Calama Airport. When asking for hotel reservations at San Pedro de Atacama, you must inform a minimum of 15 days in advance, to give enough time to check for hotel rooms availability (the Observatory does not guarantee rooms for the visitors).
- The Observatory will provide meals for visitors for a modest charge unless you tell us not to do so. Please indicate in advance or as soon as you arrive how many lunches and dinners you plan to have with us so that we can ensure that we have enough food (we will assume that you will have meals with us at least the first week, for a modest charge).
- Visitors must use services on the web that enabled you to pre-pay for National and International telephone calls. We advise you to buy two cards for both personal and business calls so you can report them later. You may purchase these cards from websites like www.cloncom.com or www.call2.com (You prepay money to your account e.g by credit card on the web and then you can use it to make calls anywhere in the word.). If you cannot purchase a card, you should fill out the telephone call sheet provided at each telephone location (Main office and Kitchen). Please be sure to enter all information requested on these sheets.
Thank you for your cooperation.
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to send them to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Telephone: +56 (55) 851 242 Fax: +56 (55) 851 453
We look forward to seeing you soon, and hope you have a good trip!