Ay 21 Webpage - Galaxies and Cosmology - Winter 2017
Instructor: George Djorgovski, george at astro.caltech.edu, x-4415, 374 Cahill
Office hours: by arrangement
TA: Ivanna Escala, iescala at caltech.edu, x-6857, 256 Cahill
Office hours: Wd. 3-4 pm in 256 Cahill
Class times and location: Monday 1-2:30, Friday 3-4:30, in 219 Cahill
Class summary, grading, collaboration policy, etc.
The syllabus (may evolve)
Caltech students have an access to the on-line version of the textbook,
Extragalactic Astronomy and Cosmology, by P. Schneider at
Practice questions, homeworks, and exams:
- Some practice questions and problems (pdf), posted on Jan. 13.
- Homework #1 (pdf), posted on Jan. 13, due on Jan. 20.
- Homework #2 (pdf), posted on Jan. 20, due on Jan. 30 (note extension).
- Midterm! Due by 3 pm on Fri. Feb. 10
- Homework #3 (pdf), posted on Feb. 9, due on Feb. 17.
- Homework #4 (pdf), posted on Feb. 17, due on Feb. 24.
- Homework #5 (pdf), posted on Feb. 24, due on Mar. 3.
- Some practice problems (pdf), posted on March 10.
- Final! Due by 5 pm on Fri. Mar. 17
- Lecture 1: Introduction and Some History
- Lecture 2: Relativistic Cosmology
- Lecture 3: Cosmological Models
- Lecture 4: Cosmological Distance Scale
- Lecture 5: Cosmological Tests
- Lecture 6: The Early Universe
- Lecture 7: The Contents of the Universe
- Lecture 8: Structure Formation
- Lecture 9: Large Scale Structure (LSS)
- Lecture 10: Galaxy Clusters, Evolution of Clustering, Peculiar Velocities
- Lecture 11: Galaxies: Morphology, Classification, Spirals
- Lecture 12: Elliptical Galaxies
- Lecture 13: Galaxy Evolution
- Lecture 14: Intergalactic Medium
- Lecture 15: Galaxy Formation and Reionization
- Lecture 16: Active Galactic Nuclei and Their Evolution: Part I
- Lecture 17: Active Galactic Nuclei and Their Evolution: Part II
Other useful stuff:
CosmoCalc by Ned Wright *
Advanced version *
Time converting *
A. Robotham's CosmoCalc
"Distance measures in cosmology" by D. Hogg
Some additional readings that you may find interesting:
Last changed: 22Mar17, SGD