California Institute of Technology
Senior Postdoctoral Fellow
I am an experimental astrophysicist in the Caltech Experimental Cosmology Group whose scientific background and interests are centered on cosmological observations including studies of the cosmic microwave and infra-red background radiation. Currently, my focus is on the epoch of reionization, secondary anisotropies in the cosmic microwave background, and the history of the star formation in the Universe. I have extensive experience with instrumentation, observation and data analysis throughout the electromagnetic spectrum from the optical to the radio, with particular emphasis on the infra-red and sub-mm/mm regimes. I am currently involved in a number of projects in a variety of roles, ranging from technology development to the scientific interpretation of data from mature instruments. On this page you can find information about the science I am currently working on, a list of projects, and some interesting links at the bottom.
In the News
- NASA.gov: "NASA Launching Experiment to Examine the Beginnings of the Universe"
- The Titanium Physicists Podcast on "The Casimir Effect"
- The Titanium Physicists Podcast on "Energy Extraction from Black Holes"
- CNN.com "Forget UPS! $2M rocket delivers to space."
- The Titanium Physicists Podcast on "Music From Before Time"
- SPIE Newsroom: "Astronomical Opportunities from the Outer Solar System"
- Universe Today: "NASA Considers Sending a Telescope to Outer Solar System"
- BBC: "Herschel telescope spies galaxy with cosmic 'zoom lens'."
Documents & Selected Recent Publications
- Curriculum Vitae
- Publication List
- PhD Thesis "Measurement of the Temperature and Polarization Anisotropies in the Cosmic Microwave Background with QUaD"
- Zemcov, Blain, Cooray, et al. (2013) "A Deficit in the Surface Brightness of the Cosmic Infrared Background Due to Galaxy Cluster Gravitational Lensing"
- Zemcov, Aguirre, Bock, et al. (2012) "High Spectral Resolution Measurement of the Sunyzev-Zel'doich effect Null with Z-Spec"
- Zemcov, Arai, Battle, et al. (2012) "The Cosmic Infrared Background Experiment (CIBER): A Sounding Rocket Payload to Study the Near Infrared Extragalactic Background Light"
- Zemcov, Rex, Rawle, et al. (2010) "First detection of the Sunyaev Zel'dovich effect increment at λ < 650 μm"