Printers in the Cahill Center:
Printers in Cahill follow a standard naming scheme, and they will be shared in a consistent manner. Instructions for installing the printers are posted on the side of each printer. These instructions are repeated in this document.
All managed computers in Cahill should have access to the printers. Other computers, including laptops, can connect to a printer through our print server: (Examples that follow are for the printer named "bw249".)
- Mac OS computers:
- Use the "Add Printer" dialog or System Preference and choose "IP" printing. From the pull-down "Protocol" list, select "Internet Printing Protocol - IPP". For "Address" use "cahillprint.caltech.edu"; for "Queue" use "printers/bw249". (The string "printers/" in the queue name is important.) Then select the appropriate driver from the list below. If the printer driver does not appear on the list, then you may need to download the driver.
- Windows computers:
- Use the "Add Printer" wizard, indicate a "Network printer", and then enter a printer URL like this: http://cahillprint.caltech.edu:631/printers/bw249
- Unix/Linux computers:
- Our CUPS server runs in a broadcast mode, so if you have not set print server to anything else, you should see the list of available printers.
- AirPrint Capable Printing via Wi-Fi Hotspot on Cell Phones - Tablets:
- Color249 and Color269 are AirPrint capable printers. To print to these device from your mobile or tablet do the following: Select "System Preferences" then select "Wi-Fi". Next select the HP device that corresponds to the printer you want to print to. As an example for color249 you will see the SSID: DIRECT-A1-HP color249. The password/key is noted on the side of the printer itself. Once you join the Air-Print Hotspot you can then print your file. *** Reminder *** Switch back to your normal WiFi Network such as Caltech BeaverNet for full internet access.
- Please contact help [@] astro.caltech.edu if you encounter any difficulties using the printers.
The ADPF Wide-Format Printer
The Caltech Astronomy Department has a wide-format printer, an HP DesignJet Z5200PS. It can print on paper up to 42" wide. It is located in room 248 on the second floor in Cahill. It is currently loaded with 42" satin photo paper, appropriate for most conference posters.
Astronomy department users may print to this printer using the standard print queue, "poster248". Users from departments other than Astronomy should contact firstname.lastname@example.org before sending their job to the printer. There are a public Mac and PC in Cahill 249 which may be used for sending jobs to the printer. The passwords for those computers may be obtained from one of us.
Note that the file to be printed must be the size desired for the output! Be sure to check both the "Page Setup", to make sure that the document is the correct size, and the "Paper Size", to make sure that the paper being printed on is large enough to accommodate the document.
Instructions for common tasks associated with the printer, such as changing the paper roll, are provided in the "Quick Reference Guide" to the printer, which can be found in the small bin on the right end of the printer itself. Please see Patrick Shopbell (Cahill 311, x4097), Anu (Cahill 228, x4006), or Carl (Cahill 227, x6462) for assistance.
The Astronomy copier is located in 248 Cahill. If you will need to make copies or scan documents please send a PTA to Gita Patel, gp [@] astro, and she will generate an account number. When in front of the copier, choose Dept. ID on the LCD screen and type in the account number using the number pad on the right of the LCD screen, then hit the ID button. You can now start to copy and scan documents.
Once you have an account from Gita, you can also use scan to pdf feature. This feature will allow the copier to scan a black and white document and send the result to an email address.
March 2019 Important policy change: Due to a lack of staff resources, we are no longer providing poster printing to outside parties (i.e., outside of Caltech Astronomy). We apologize for the inconvenience, but we currently are not able to assist with such printing. Outside individuals requiring poster printing should contact Graphic Resources or an off-campus source, such as Kinko's.
Please send any questions and feedback to help [at] astro.caltech.edu.
Cahill Public Printer List: