Astronomy / Academics / Teaching Assistants / TA Tips
- Communicate with the students in your class and the professor teaching the course.
- Learn the course material. If you never had a course yourself in the topic or had one but didn't appreciate the value, now is your chance!
- Develop explanations of the material from several perspectives. Don't just reiterate what is in the lecture notes or the book.
- Try to view the course from the perspective of the other parties involved. Help the students learn. Help the professor teach.
- Demonstrate reliability and organization.
- Grade consistently. Be empathetic but firm.
- Take the initiative to interact with the professor. Be a team player. Offer advice.